At last week’s National Safety Council Congress and Expo in Indianapolis, the NSC released the preliminary OSHA Top 10 Violations list for the 2017 fiscal year. The data includes violations through Sept. 4.
Once again, general fall protection requirements topped the list with more than 6,000 citations, almost 2,000 more than second-place hazard communication. The top five remained unchanged from 2016, with ladders moving up to sixth and powered industrial trucks falling to one spot to seventh.
Fall protection training is a new entry in the 2017 list, taking 9th place with 1,523 citations. General electrical requirements fell out of the top 10.
- Fall Protection; General Requirements (1926.501) – 6,072
- Hazard Communication (1910.1200) – 4,176
- Scaffolding (1926.451) – 3,288
- Respiratory Protection (1910.134) – 3,097
- Lockout/Tagout (1910.147) – 2,877
- Ladders (1926.1053) – 2,241
- Powered Industrial Trucks (1910.178) – 2,162
- Machine Guarding (1910.212) – 1,933
- Fall Protection – Training Requirements (1926.503) – 1,523
- Electrical – Wiring Methods (1910.305) – 1,405
“The OSHA Top 10 is more than just a list, it is a blueprint for keeping workers safe,” said NSC President and CEO Deborah A.P. Hersman in a news release. “When we all work together to address hazards, we can do the best job possible to ensure employees go home safely each day.”
The finalized data is set to be released in December 2017.
At SCT, we can help your company identify and eliminate all of these hazards. Whether it’s through on-site workplace audits, complete safety program development, or refresher training for employees and supervisors, our team of experts will help you reach your safety goals.
Contact us today online or call us at 1-800-204-1729.